Many therapies have been studied for the treatment of hot flashes. Roughly speaking, all of these treatments fall into three broad categories:
- Behavioral techniques: These include weight loss, avoiding triggers, and mind-body therapies, like cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and hypnosis.
- Nutritional supplements: Various supplements have been used to treat hot flashes and night sweats, including vitamin E, black cohosh, soy supplements, and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Prescription medications including:
- Hormone replacement therapy estrogen +/- a progestin
- Non-hormonal prescription medications that have been studied for the treatment of hot flashes. These medications are not FDA-approved for the treatment of hot flashes, but can be prescribed for this use by providers based on a patient’s history, symptoms, and preferences.