Being an over-the-counter medicine means nicotine gum is relatively safe, but anything can be toxic if too much is used. Nicotine gum should not be used while you are still smoking. This can lead to nicotine poisoning. And, while this may seem obvious, nicotine gum is a medicine and should be kept away from children. Even a piece of used gum can be toxic to children or pets. Gum is tempting to children so when you are done with a piece of gum, dispose of it in a manner that makes it impossible for children or pets to reach.
Nicotine poisoning is rare, but it can happen. You must be aware of the signs. Some signs and symptoms of nicotine toxicity are:
- hearing or vision problems
- abdominal pain
- low blood pressure
- irregular heart rate
- shortness of breath or other breathing difficulties.
If you suspect nicotine poisoning call (800) 222-1222—The United States National Poison Hotline—and go to the nearest emergency room.
This information is not, nor is it intended to be, a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and should never be relied upon for specific medical advice. If you have any questions or concerns, please talk to your doctor.